Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The last 10 years

Last night, while attending the Jubilee celebration of Jurong scouts, in the midst of walk through the gallery of memories, i was thinking to myself, what was i doing for the past 10 years since i have graduated from Jurong Sec.

Out of these 10 years, 2 years i spent in JJC, 2 years 2 months in army, 4 years in NUS and 1 year in NIE, rest of the time probably slacking or working while waiting for the next phase to happen. But outside of these commitments, i was wondering if i have wasted my 10 years on things that does not matter now. During the earlier years of this decade, i think that i was spending my time going back for scouts and playing dark age of camelot. While i do enjoyed the time spent going back to scout, i do not know if i have actually contribute anything to the troop, or merely made it worse. Thus, not really time well spent.

I kind of cut down my time spent on scouting after i entered army. Towards the end of my second years, a major world phenomenon happened; World of Warcraft was released. I spent a total of almost 5 years on the game, from really hardcore gamer to casual, and back to hardcore again. Started guild with fellow friends, watched it failed and disbanded, join another guild and slowly fade away. I only stopped playing the game probably early 2009, ironically when i was using WoW for my fyp. I still remembered when i finally cancelled my subscription and stop playing WoW, the first few days or weeks was quite scary. For the first time in my life, i finally realize the effects of over-gaming. I felt that i have wasted time playing something that basically yield nothing. While there are the social benefits in playing online game, after quitting the game, everything disappeared with the subscription. 5 years of time spent on earning something that is virtual and with no real skills gained.

Concluding the decade, somehow i actually wished that i have live a different life that seek to discover myself more rather than spending time on these less useful stuff. While i will not be who i am without all my experiences, perhaps i would not have felt that i have wasted my youth away. So i wondered, if i can really make good use of my time for the next 10 years? Only time will tell, when i think back a decade later.

No comments:

Post a Comment